Friday, July 3, 2015

FO Friday: Mont Royal socks

Happy dances here, because my "happy" socks are done!

Pattern: Mont Royal socks (link to my Ravelry project page)
Needles: Size 1 Addi Sock Rockets
Yarn: Spinningfates Megara (colorway: the bees knees)
Mods: Nada! Super super fun pattern! Toe-up, short-row heel with fantastic instructions if you've never done either method.

And congratulations, Lise, you are the lucky winner of the Mont Royal pattern giveaway! I've forwarded your contact information to Brandy and she'll be in touch. :-D

Linking up with Freshly Finished Friday at Hard Knit Life--see what everyone else has been making!

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

pattern giveaway: Mont Royal socks

Almost done with my Mont Royal socks! I finished the first sock and have turned the heel on the second, so now I'm in the home stretch! If you haven't been following my progress on these socks, I was lucky enough to test knit this fabulous pattern for Brandy over at Stitched up in Toronto. I can't say enough good things about this pattern--it's toe up (fantastic if you hate kitchener-ing the toe), has a fun and intuitive leafy lace pattern, and the instructions for the short-row heel are impeccable for first-timers like me! I've been thinking of these as my "happy" socks, as I've always wanted a pair of happy yellow socks in my sock drawer! And to add to the happiness today, I have a giveaway! One lucky person will win a copy of this pattern from Brandy! To enter, post a comment telling me what color you'd make these socks in if you win! (and send me an email at snapdragoncrafts AT so I can send you the pattern if you win!) With any luck, I'll be finished with these by the end of the week!

Today I'm linking up with Tammy's Stitch-Along Wednesday, Ginny for Yarn Along, and Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

the grinch

The grinch lap quilt has been quilted! All I have left is hand sewing the binding, my favorite part! I was worried it was too small, but we've already been cuddling under it and I was happy to see the size is perfect for that. Ready for Christmas, and it's not even July yet!

Friday, June 26, 2015

FO Friday: fraternal twin socks!


It's pink socks with black stripes! No .... it's black socks with pink stripes! Wait a second ...

Yup, it's fraternal twin self-striping socks! Normally this level of mismatching would drive me crazy, but I love these. The yarn is SpinningFates Twisted Sister socks, in the colorway "Roller Derby." But I've dubbed these my "carpool derby" socks since they were mostly knit in my first experiences hurrying-up-and-waiting in the carpool pick up line at my daughter's elementary school. These socks are also my first time knitting socks without a pattern--I've finally knit enough pairs to know that all I need to do is cast on 64 stitches on my favorite 2.5 mm needles and away I go! Somehow that makes me feel even more like a "real" knitter. More details on my Ravelry project page.

I also finished the tiny LSU baby hat! This one I did use a pattern for, lol!

Pattern: Simple Baby Hat (free Ravelry download!), link to my Ravelry project page
Yarn: Mellowspun DK
Needles: Size 5
Mods: None! Knit two-row stripes alternating each color. Super fun and satisfying knit!

Thursday, June 25, 2015

third time's the charm

Every once in awhile I swear I just turn my brain off and quit thinking ... and that's exactly what I had done with these socks. These are my Mont Royal socks that I'm test knitting for the lovely Brandy at Stitched up in Toronto. You're looking at the heel side of the socks right now. The part that required three attempts to get back on track for. Because my brain doesn't want to work in the summer, apparently. The pattern is flawless--intuitive, fun, easy to follow. I just got in the rhythm of knitting away with the lace pattern for the top of the foot, and completely forgot that there was a new lace chart to start for the back of the leg after finishing the heel. Duh! So I ripped back, picked up stitches to only realize I hadn't ripped back far enough and had to pull things apart again. But the third time was the charm, and I'm working on the ribbing and getting ready to cast off. Luckily this lace is fast and fun, and I was caught back up in no time. (I'm excited to note that the pattern is now available! And next week I'll have one copy to giveaway for free, so come back on Wednesday for your chance to win!)

Thursday, June 18, 2015

fabric stashdowning, cont.

Do you remember how I went crazy and made 18 tote bags in May? Well, I'm back at whittling down the fabric stash! This is a quick throw quilt--I bought 1.5 yards of pre-printed Grinch themed squares, so that made the decisions about this quilt easy. Simple squares! Next I need to make the quilt "sandwhich" and begin quilting ... eep!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

sock mania continues

You'd think I'd be tired of socks, right? Especially after knitting three pairs in rapid succession! Nope, sock mania continues here ... this month my daughter is in a summer half-day program at our local elementary school, and this is my first ever time experiencing the hurry-up-and-wait joys of the school carpool line. And hence, my first ever carpool knitting project! Plain vanilla socks here, but with super fun self-striping yarn.

And since I clearly cannot be a monogamous knitter, I'm test knitting the lovely Brandy's first sock pattern, Mont Royal Socks. They are stunning and the pattern is flawless. Addictive and fun lace knitting here!
 Yup, these are toe-up. My first adult-sized short row heel!

Last but not least, I'm working up a tiny LSU-themed striped baby hat for a co-worker's super-premie nephew who has battled it out in the NICU for months now and is in the homestretch to get to come home!

Today I'm linking up with Tammy's Stitch-Along Wednesday, Ginny for Yarn Along, and Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On.