2010 in review, fall catch-up

























When this arrived in my mailbox, I just had to make it. Such a simple, but awesome design. So I set out to gather my supplies, and just barely scrounged up enough candy corn. By the time I hit the Halloween candy aisle, the majority of what was left was called "harvest corn" and instead of being white, orange, and yellow, it was white, orange and brown. Not nearly as aesthetically pleasing! Someone told me the brown was supposed be chocolate flavor? Dunno. All in all, it only took me about two hours to hot-glue-gun each candy corn to the wreath form (first you cover the wreath form with black duct tape to create your "background").

























I loved the finished wreath! But, yes, I am speaking in the past tense. A couple of problems with candy corn ... first, it's sugar, which meant that it softened up from the heat of the glue gun and from being exposed to the elements outside. I only had one candy corn actually detach itself and fall off the wreath, but you could feel them kind of disintegrating when I took the wreath down after Halloween. So ultimately this one ended up in the trash. (I also had visions of the bugs having a field day eating this in the attic/garage ... no need to give them any more reason to be attracted to my house!) If I make another one next year, I might try spraying it with some sort of sealer or gloss spray. We'll see.


No comments:

2021 year in review

  Who would have thought that the second year of a pandemic would be worst than the first, in terms of crafting mojo? Not I. But this chart ...