sock woes, cont.

This feels slightly heretical to type this, but am I the only one who is not completely in love with Grumperina's Jaywalker socks? If you've read my blog for any amount of time, you know I have fallen in love with String Theory's awesome self-striping yarn. I was itching to cast on with this colorway (Galactic Ghoul), but I wanted to try a pattern that manipulated the striping. Jaywalker seemed perfect--who doesn't like huge zig zags of color? And looking at this photograph, I do love the effect. But the feeling in my hands was much different. The fabric the stitch pattern created was so stiff and really had no give. The other thing that bugs me is the look of the two-stitch decrease in the middle of each zag. I'm probably crazy, but it just doesn't look neat to me. So as much as I like the zig zags, I've come to the realization that I'll never wear these socks if I don't like the way they feel. So these socks, along with my Monkeys, have both come to a screeching halt. Has anyone tried Broadripple? They look like a promising alternative ... and tomorrow, on to happier topics with WIP Wednesday!

2 comments:

Randi said...

I found the Jaywalker pattern really stiff while I was knitting it, too, and it is a bit of a job to get it on over my ankle. But once they're on, they stay put better than any other socks I've knit. I'm sorry to hear these aren't working out for you - but that yarn is so pretty, it deserves a pattern you'll really love.

Michelle said...

Hmmm... I haven't had the inclination to try Jaywalkers. However, the colors in that yarn are fantastic! I hope you find an alternate pattern!

2021 year in review

  Who would have thought that the second year of a pandemic would be worst than the first, in terms of crafting mojo? Not I. But this chart ...