smoky mountain blues


We're still getting back into the swing of things after a quick spring break trip to Chattanooga, Tennessee and the Smoky Mountain National Park. Our trip was fantastic--seriously, fun! We saw Rock City, traversed a cave to see Ruby Falls, enjoyed an epic aquarium (umm, so far the best aquarium I've been to ever, even better than the Atlanta aquarium!), pretended to be pioneers in Cade's Cove in the Smoky Mountain National Park and after walking about 10 feet on the Appalachian Trail capped off our trip with a visit to the also epic Biltmore estate in Asheville, NC. So while the sights were amazing, my knitting ...not so much.

This was my second try at the Betula Ring cowl pattern. This time, I actually used a bulky yarn as called for. The actual knitting was fun, the fit turned out great ... but again, the pesky rolling at the neck portion of the stockinette section. Boo. I just realized I will never wear this as is, so it is already frogged. This yarn is a leftover skein from my Montague Bulky Lace vest, and I love this colorway too much to not use it. Not sure if this pattern will get a third try from me, but if it does, I'll be using super bulky yarn next time! So sad, as I really love the ingenious design.

Pattern: Betula Ring (link to my Ravelry project page)
Yarn: Malabrigo Mecha in the Whale's Road Colorway
Needles: Size 10
Mods: None! Knit pattern exactly as written this time.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would more texture help at the neck edge? Can't tell if it's garter or Reverse St st along the top. Good luck on the next attempt.

Emily said...

It's garter stitch, which is ironic, since I know it's meant to prevent the rolling!

2021 year in review

  Who would have thought that the second year of a pandemic would be worst than the first, in terms of crafting mojo? Not I. But this chart ...