Thursday, May 12, 2016

curtain crazy, part 2


So, my kitchen windows have remained "undressed" for years ... I never wanted to block the view of my backyard or any light! But since I caught a curtain sewing fever, it made me reconsider the idea of adding a little pop of color in the kitchen.  So this is my second curtain project using printed cotton duck. These curtains are kind of like valences, I guess--they sit on a tension rod inside the top of each window. I only had one yard of the print that best matched my kitchen, so I cut it in half and found a print to use for the back side that I would enjoy when I'm on my patio looking toward the house. I wanted a curved edge to make it a little interesting, so I carefully made myself a pattern. Then I hemmed the bottom curved edge including pom pom trim along the way (my favorite part!), and then sewed the top seam. Pressed the bottom seam, and done! So these used up two yards of fabric total.

view from outside

pom poms!

And in my last fit of curtain making, I tried something different for the window in our big family room. I wanted something even shorter to better be able to see the backyard. And this print had a fun design to it, so I thought I'd let the design dictate the shape. I'm not 100% convinced on this one. Sometimes I adore it, and other times I think it looks comically too tiny. But for now it stays! Another yard out of the stash.


2 comments:

  1. You have to keep the family room curtain. That was very clever to follow the pattern for the shape of the hem. MY kitchen windows are bare for the view and the light. I would consider something similar to your valances if Hubby wasn't so anti-frills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them both!! Now you are making me feel a slacker because we have lived here 6 years and I haven't done a thing to the windows. Some windows were left bare when the previous owners took the treatments. And I have just not found a replacement for them. Maybe that will be my summer project.

    ReplyDelete