Friday, July 31, 2015

finished cheater string quilt!


My sewing stashbusting roll continues! My cheater string quilt is officially done. This is the first time I did a machine-sewn binding, and it worked fabulously. I cut a generously sized binding, which I'm sure helped! (three inches wide, with the edges pressed to the inside at approx. 1/2 an inch)  The pattern I used is the Wishes String Quilt, a free tutorial published on the Moda Bake Shop website. It was super fun and an easy way to make a string quilt. I ended up using all three of my jelly rolls ("Spring House" from Moda) and almost two whole jelly rolls of Kona Cotton (colorway: snow). That's a lot more fabric than the pattern called for. But .... my squares ended up a little smaller and I needed more to make a generous king sized quilt, so I'm not that surprised. Love, love, love these colors. Lots of turquoise blues, yellows, pinks, and greens. Super happy colors. This is by far the prettiest quilt I've made to date! Initially I thought I'd need to make new shams for my pillows, but the old yellow ones go pretty well with the new quilt. On to my next sewing project! Next up: placemats. Lots and lots of placemats!


2 comments:

  1. It's just lovely! Great job and such a cheerful quilt.

    ReplyDelete