Some yarns just look best in reverse stockinette. And simple is good. Free is good, too.
7. troll (pattern by Gabriela Widmer-Hanke)
It's free, uses tiny amounts of aran weight yarn, and is stinkin' adorable!
6. fairy snowcap (pattern by romi hill)
You may know Romi Hill for her fabulous knitted shawl patterns, but I just adore this hat pattern. Love the shape of the deep twisted rib, love the light lace, love the huge pom pom!
5. barley (pattern by tin can knits)
This one combines a texture panel with easy stockinette, and the best part of this pattern is the range of sizes. You can knit a hat for the entire family with this free pattern!
4. molly (pattern by erin ruth)
3. lullington hat (pattern by Jen A-C)
You've seen me finish two of these in 2015 alone. It works great for aran weight yarns, and given my adoration of MadTosh chunky and malabrigo worsted (both aran weight yarns), I know I'll be making more hats with this pattern!
2. lowbrow hat (pattern by thao nguyen)
By last count, I've knit this pattern five times, all with MadTosh chunky. That's how much I love this pattern!
1. Luuk (pattern by annis jones)
This pattern has become my go-to baby/kid hat pattern. Roomy fit and adorable! Bonus points for being a freebie.