road trippin' day 3


Day three finally brought us to some our first destination sight-seeing! First we stopped at the Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, New Mexico. If you are driving through Albuquerque I highly recommend a quick stop! It was easy to navigate to and took little time to take a very short nature trail that brings you up close and personal with some amazing petroglyphs!


a little taste of the Albuquerque scenery

And then we were off to our first national park of the trip, Petrified Forest National Park. I LOVED it! It's one of the national parks that gets very little traffic, but is a fun short detour that doesn't require driving miles out of the way, so definitely loop through it if you get the chance!

We took a short hike (.6 miles each way) to reach the Painted Desert Inn. Stunning. Classic southwestern adobe style building and views!


And then there was the "petrified" section of the park. I have never seen more petrified wood in my life--amazing!



Even with all the fun things we saw and hiked around today, I was able to finish one sock and make good progress on the second! Tucumcari, New Mexico to Flagstaff, Arizona took us 7.5 hours and logged us 496 miles that day. Flagstaff marked the change from desert back to high elevation forest terrain.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love New Mexico. I lived there when I was young and we often went camping in the great parks. Amazing food, too.

Emily said...

Oh it is sooo stunning, I can't wait to go back! New Mexico was my favorite of the new-to-me states we visited on this trip!

2021 year in review

  Who would have thought that the second year of a pandemic would be worst than the first, in terms of crafting mojo? Not I. But this chart ...