casting on with memories






This time, last year we were here. London. If I sound wistful, it's because I am. My first trip outside the country (besides Canada), and it was fantastic. Even with two tiny kids! My son turned one on the trip, and London will always have a special place in my heart. We did all the touristy things, and my previously blogged pilgrimage to Liberty of London, of course.

 Tower Bridge

 Buckingham Palace

 Parliament

 View of Tower of London from River Thames

 Traitor's Gate!


Since I'm being wistful, I decided that I should cast on with one of the skeins of yarn I purchased on that trip. This is a delicious skein of I Knit or Dye in the Ritual Union base that I purchased at the I Knit London shop in Waterloo. The colorway is hard to photograph accurately--a deep purple with navy blue accents. I looove it. I'm making a dateline cowl, which will progress slowly given the many many WIPs I have on my needles right now. But I'd much rather cast on and actually use this wonderful souvenir, instead of having it languish in my stash for eternity! I'm working harder to actually use my "special" skeins instead of making them untouchable objects. Now if I can get myself to apply that philosophy to the collection of Liberty of London fabrics I purchased on that trip as well ...



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea. I think I know what I will be doing the first week of June! I have one skein left from the purchases I made in Maine during our 20th Anniversary trip last year. I will have to decide on shawl pattern and cast on. Wish it had been an England trip, but you take what you can get. LOL!

Lucy Bowen said...

I've only been once but loved I Knit. One of my goals this year is to use some of my 'special' yarns!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to take those special skeins and turn them into projects. I know I feel like I'm always looking for the perfect project for them, but it always seems to allude me. The dateline cowl looks like a beautiful choice!

Emily said...

That's wonderful! Maine is high on my list of destinations I want to go to SOON! :)

2021 year in review

  Who would have thought that the second year of a pandemic would be worst than the first, in terms of crafting mojo? Not I. But this chart ...