little georgia peach socks

    

We just got back from the gorgeous Georgia city of Savannah. We drove, which meant I had an amazing amount of knitting time to enjoy--nine hours one way! So I have some great vacay knitting to update everyone on.  The picture above is of the famous fountain in Forsyth Park. We walked and walked and walked on this trip--honestly, it's the best way to see Savannah and soak up the old south feeling of the city. I didn't appreciate Savannah until we walked it! The many squares and the amazing live oak trees were my favorite part. Along with tons and tons of beautiful but creepy Spanish moss, that really set the mood:

  

With two little kiddos we didn't take any of the many ghost tours, but I'm not surprised there are plenty of ghost sightseeing spots. The whole city felt old and had a little bit of a creepy vibe (in a good way). It reminded me a lot of New Orleans--but much more family friendly and less seedy (and much safer!). I was ready for something instant gratification, so I made my first-ever toe-up and short-row heel socks for my daughter. So. much. fun! I think I may have finally stumbled unto my version of sock knitting nirvana. I love the Turkish cast on, so I can avoid kitchener-ing the toes, and with Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind-off the top of the socks are plenty stretchy! I'm really excited to dig into the toe-up sock patterns already in my pattern library now.


Pattern: Super Sock Calculator, free! (link to my Ravelry project page), knit the size 5-9 year-old sock size
Needles: Size 2s, magic loop
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici, in the Peachy colorway (used less than one skein)
Mods: None! But I just did regular short-row heels, not the shadow short-row heels the sock calculator author uses.


4 comments:

Melissa Marie said...

I have been to Savannah and loved it! It's so pretty and beautiful! The socks you knitted are cute! :)

bookworm-Mary said...

I love Felici!! It is such a fabulous yarn, and looks great in those socks!

Pumpkin said...

I've never been to Savanna but I've always wanted to visit, looks like heaven! Those socks turned out adorable, once you start knitting toe-up, it's hard to go back!

Unknown said...

Savannah looks amazing. I only ever visited Charleston, which is also a beautiful southern city to visit. But now I want to spend a weekend in Savannah - I miss the south!

The socks are also adorable!! Can't wait to see all that you worked on during your trip.

2021 year in review

  Who would have thought that the second year of a pandemic would be worst than the first, in terms of crafting mojo? Not I. But this chart ...