baby boy fat quarter quilt

One nursery project done! I am so glad I used flannel ... it's soooo soft. Between two layers of flannel and a nice cotton quilt batting, this sucker will be toasty too. A few things I want to remember in case I replicate this quilt again:


  • This project used eight fat quarters of flannel fabric. I ended up cutting 5" by 5" squares, which produced 12 squares out of each fat quarter. I used a 1/4" seam allowance, so the final size of each square was 4.75 x 4.75 inches (96 total squares).

  • I ended up adding a 3.5 inch border around all sides of the top (3.25 inches after seam allowance). With this size, I was able to fit the quilt top onto my flannel backing without sewing any additional width onto the backing, and it also fit onto a standard crib quilt batting with no problem. I probably could have gotten away with a 4 inch border with no problems, but it would have been a tighter squeeze.

  • I really needed less than three yards of material for the backing AND the border.

  • I really needed less than 1.5 yards of material for the binding.

8 comments:

pinkundine said...

I love it, and it sounds so warm and comforting too :)

Allison said...

Very cute! I love the fabric designs you chose.

Laura said...

I'd love to make something with flannel - it looks so warm and snuggly. I love the colours you chose - definitely for a boy without being dull. Lovely!

Emily said...

Thanks! I'm excited to be able to sew with all kinds of cute robots and space ships and cowboy fabric now ... they don't seem to make "girly" versions of those fabrics!

Emily said...

Thanks! I lucked out and found a great fat quarter pack that did all that work for me. :)

Emily said...

Thanks--this quilt makes me contemplate a lap quilt version for myself to snuggle under!

stitchin' girl said...

I love baby blankets made out of flannel. This one looks so beautiful - I love the colors - and I'm sure it is very soft! Just lovely :o)

Affiknitty said...

Nice color combination!

2021 year in review

  Who would have thought that the second year of a pandemic would be worst than the first, in terms of crafting mojo? Not I. But this chart ...